The GIScRG is a group of academics and practitioners interested in promoting GIScience and GITechnology in geographical research, teaching and the workplace.
We also support and promote e-science and the application of novel computing and spatial analysis paradigms to geographical systems, for example, agent-based modelling.
- Running sessions at the RGS-IBG Annual Conference.
- Active participation in GISRUK, the leading academic GIS conference in the UK.
- Providing bursaries for early career academics to leading GIS conferences.
- Developing and maintaining international links, e.g. participation and sponsorship of sessions at the American Association of Geographers Annual Conference.
- Working with companies such as ESRI (UK) to promote the use of GIS.
- Working with the Association of Geographic Information (AGI) to promote links with GIS practitioners and Chartered Geographers.
- Promoting and supporting the use of GIS within schools.
- Production of journal special issues on exciting new research (e.g. the 2009 RGS-IBG Annual Conference produced a special issue of the Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy journal).
- Working closely with other GIScience forums such as AGILE.
The following represent the current GIScRG committee structure; if you are interested in becoming a committee member then please drop the chair an email.
- Chair: Ed Manley (UCL)
- Secretary: Adam Dennett (UCL)
- Treasurer: Nick Bearman (UCL)
- Prizes and Awards: Seraphim Alvanides (Northumbria University)
- Postgraduate Representative: Alekos Alexiou (University of Liverpool)
- Conferences and Events: Alan Smith (University of Plymouth)
- Membership Secretary: Rebecca Sharpe (Sheffield Hallam University)