The GIScience Research Group (GIScRG) at the Royal Geographical Society is a group of academics and practitioners interested in promoting GIScience, Geographic Data Science and GITechnology in geographical research, teaching and the workplace.
We also support and promote e-science and the application of novel computing and spatial analysis paradigms to geographical systems, for example, agent-based modelling.
- Running sessions at the Royal Geographical Society with IBG (RGS-IBG) Annual Conference.
- Active participation in GISRUK the leading academic GIS conference in the UK (see the GISRUK 2020 call for papers).
- Manage a mailing list for GIScience researchers and professionals.
- Providing bursaries for early career academics to leading GIS conferences.
- Developing and maintaining international links, e.g. participation and sponsorship of sessions at the American Association of Geographers Annual Conference.
- Working with companies such as ESRI (UK) to promote the use of GIS.
- Working with the Association of Geographic Information (AGI) to promote links with GIS practitioners and Chartered Geographers.
- Promoting and supporting the use of GIS within schools.
- Production of journal special issues on exciting new research (e.g. the 2009 RGS-IBG Annual Conference produced a special issue of the Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy journal).
- Working closely with other GIScience forums such as Association of Geographic Information Laboratories for Europe (AGILE).
The following represent the current GIScRG committee structure; if you are interested in becoming a committee member then please drop the chair an email.
- Chair: Ed Manley (Uni. of Leeds)
- Secretary: Stefano De Sabbata (Uni. of Leicester)
- Treasurer: Nick Bearman (UCL)
- Prizes and Awards: Seraphim Alvanides (Northumbria University)
- Postgraduate Representative: Bonnie Buyuklieva (UCL)
- Website and Social Media Manager: Andrea Ballatore (Birkbeck, Uni. of London)
- Conferences and Events: Alan Smith (University of Plymouth)
- Membership Secretary: James Haworth (UCL)
Past committee members
- Adam Dennett (UCL)
- Rebecca Sharpe (Sheffield Hallam University)
- Alekos Alexiou (University of Liverpool)
The GIScRG privacy notice can be found here.
Last update: Nov 2019